Garlic Confit has to be one of the ultimate garlic lover’s standout ingredients. It’s that special addition to a recipe that levels up the flavours, bringing gourmet right into your kitchen.
Add confit to any sauce, pasta, vegetable, stew, soup, butter, potato… anything.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Fresh herbs (optional)
- Place peeled garlic cloves in a small saucepan and cover with olive oil.
- Place over low heat on the stove and bring to a slow simmer.
- Continue to cook the garlic in the oil (over low heat), stirring carefully every few minutes, for 15 to 30 minutes or until the cloves are cooked through but aren’t heavily caramelized. You can check this by using a sharp knife to pierce the cloves – there should be no resistance.
- Remove from heat.
- Add fresh herbs to the oil (if using). We love adding some fresh rosemary from the garden.
- Transfer to a sterile glass jar with a lid and immediately refrigerate.
- Enjoy with almost any savoury dish. We love smearing it on thick, toasted slices of sourdough.
If stored improperly, garlic can produce a dangerous toxin that causes botulism.
It is recommended that you use the confit within 4 days of making it - but if prepared and stored correctly, garlic confit can keep for several weeks in the refrigerator. Use at your discretion.
Homemade garlic confit and garlic oil should always be immediately stored in the refrigerator for food safety reasons.
You can also freeze Garlic Confit. Thaw frozen confit in the refrigerator before using.