With the end of summer coming up we've reached the end of fresh garlic (and tomato) season. What better way to use the last of these seasonal delights than a confit that you can use well into the winter months? Prominent food blogger, Amanda of Lamb's Ears & Honey, has shared her recipe for this delicious Garlic & Tomato Confit with us.
1kg ripe tomatoes (stalks removed, chopped into inch-sized pieces)
100 mls Kangaroo Island Olive Oil
3 Cloves of Garlic (peeled and very finely sliced)
Sprigs of fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary or oregano)
Garlic Salt Flakes
Ground Black Pepper
Extra Kangaroo Island Olive Oil (for storing)
1. Preheat oven to 170C.
2. Drizzle some of the oil over the base of an oven-proof dish and spread to make a film over base of dish.
3. Place tomatoes cut side down in dish.
4. Sprinkle with garlic and herbs, then drizzle with remaining olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Cook in oven for 40-50 minutes until tomatoes are soft and just collapsing, but not charred.
6. Cool, then place in jars and cover with extra olive oil.
7. Store in refrigerator.
About our amazing cook:
Amanda, of Lamb's Ears and Honey, has been blogging about food, recipes and travel since 2010.
She's been on and documented some pretty amazing things, from a Bulgarian Dairy Association Tour to the story of Kangaroo Island Fresh Garlic.
She studied at Le Cordon Bleu, obtaining a Graduate Certificate in Gastronomy and Advanced Studies in Taste, making her one of the most knowledgeable food bloggers around.