Our version of Shakshuka includes an extra kick of flavour thanks to our delicious Kangaroo Island Fresh Garlic. Our delicious garlic adds a depth of flavour to the sauce that will have you coming back for seconds (and thirds).
Our recipe is easy to follow and requires just a handful of ingredients, making it a great option for busy weeknights or lazy weekends. So why not give it a try and see for yourself why Shakshuka has become a beloved dish around the world?
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced (or rehydrated garlic granules)
1 red capsicum, seeded and chopped
1 can (400g) diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
4-6 large eggs
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Pita bread or crusty garlic bread for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and chopped red bell pepper to the skillet, and continue cooking for another 5 minutes, or until the pepper is softened.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper to the skillet. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Use a spoon to make small wells in the sauce and crack an egg into each well. Cover the skillet and cook until the eggs are set, about 5-7 minutes.
- Sprinkle the crumbled feta cheese over the eggs and sauce, and garnish with chopped parsley.
Serve the Shakshuka with pita bread or crusty garlic bread for dipping into the sauce and eggs and enjoy!